Your French Insurance in BrittanyAgents Axa à Pontivy et Locminé

Pontivy +33 (0)2 97 25 41 02 Locminé+33 (0)2 97 60 08 23

Top-Up Health

Healthcare cover is an important part of your move to France, so make sure you get the best insurance policy for your needs. 


At CL&P Assurances we offer a variety of complementary health insurance  .....including private plans for all your French health insurance needs.

Buying your house and arranging your move is almost certainly the priority when you have decided

happy senior couple

 to relocate to  France.  It is perhaps worth remembering also the importance of ensuring you have proper healthcare cover in place for yourself and your family from the very outset.  

There are important differences between the French health system and that of the UK and an appointment at the doctor, dentist, health care specialist or a stay in a hospital could become expensive if you do not have the correct insurance cover.

It is important therefore to take out a complementary health insurance policy (Top-Up Health Insurance) to help pay the difference between what the French social security pays and what you will be left to pay personally.


Do I need healthcare insurance in France?

You are legally obliged to have health insurance if you are working or a resident in France and most residents qualify for health insurance provided by the state (Sécurité Sociale). France operates a mixed healthcare system where the states covers the majority of charges and a voluntary health insurance cover provided by a private insurance company (an “Assurance Complémentaire Santé” often called ‘Mutuelles’) provides cover for the remaining charges; a ‘top-up’ of the charges not covered by the state.

What will I be reimbursed for?

Your Top-Up Health cover will not only provide you with reimbursement of charges for general healthcare like a visit to the doctors or dentists, but also for the more unexpected emergencies such as a visit to the hospital, replacing broken glasses etc. It may come as a surprise to learn that social security does not cover the full costs of an ambulance or a stay at the hospital in France – and so what many British expats take for granted can in fact carry a heavy price tag if you are not covered correctly.

What regime do I belong to?

The main government body that takes care of state health insurance is called the CPAM (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie) and you will be affiliated to the CPAM if you are retired, unemployed, employed or employable. If you are self-employed the RSI (Régime Social des Indépendents) will deal with your social security reimbursements.

What level of cover will I be entitled to?

You can start the process of finding out your level of cover under the French Social Security system before leaving the UK and by doing so, it will allow you to get your registration onto the French Social Security system underway and allow you time to get a Top-Up Health Insurance plan agreed and in place from day one of your new life in France.

Contact us for more details on how we can assist you in this process.


Our Agencies

+ 33 (0) 2 97 25 41 02
Contact Us

+ 33 (0) 2 97 60 08 23
Contact Us

Pontivy agency

 75 Rue Nationale - 56300 Pontivy

 +33 (0) 2 97 25 41 02

 Contact Us

Summer opening hours

  • Monday 9:00am - 12:00pm
  • Tuesday to Friday
    9:00am to 12:00pm
  • Saturday: Closed

Locminé agency

 6 Place du marché - 56500 Locminé

 +33 (0) 2 97 60 08 23

 Contact Us

Summer opening hours 2020

  • Monday 9:00am to 12:00pm
  • Tuesday to Friday
    9:00am to 12:00pm
  • Saturday : Closed